Easy Tips to Prevent Hammertoes
Despite their small size, our toes have a significant impact on the way we stand and move. Our toes constantly assist us in maintaining balance when we are upright. When walking out toes gives some support. If one of our toes is malformed or painful, it would be difficult for us to walk and stand. One of the common toe deformities that are common in people is the hammer toe.
Hammertoe occurs when a joint in your toe points up, forming a hammerhead shape. When comes to mallet toes, is an abnormal bend in a joint at your toe tip. In the case of hammertoes, it occurs when you observe an abnormal bend in the middle of your PIP joint. Hammertoes is common in women than in men.
What are the causes of this condition?
- If you wear too tight shoes or high heels, it can result in this condition sometimes. Try the shoe before you buy to avoid buying a too loose or tight shoe. Avoid wearing high heels regularly. Choose high heels only for special occasions.
- Hammertoes can occur due to genetics as well.
- Certain health problems like diabetes or arthritis can increase the risk for hammertoes.
- If your big toe is smaller than the second toe, it increases the risk of hammertoe.
- As your age increases, you are more likely to develop this condition.
- A toe may be more prone to developing a hammer toe if it has been cracked, studded, or jammed.
What are the symptoms of hammer toes?
- Severe pain in your toe when walking or wearing shoes.
- Burning sensation in your toes.
- Swelling or redness in your toes.
- Will not be able to keep your toe straight.
- Open sores on your toes.
If you experience hammer toe pain, you must immediately contact a podiatrist. There are so many podiatrists in the US nowadays. Besides, some of them are experienced, while some are not. Ensure that you choose an experienced podiatrist if you are looking for effective treatment. In short, choose an experienced podiatrist like Dr. Sima Soltani. This podiatrist is extremely good at treating various foot-related conditions such as hammertoe, toenail fungus, etc.
How to prevent this condition?
- Meet a podiatrist for getting a prescription regarding orthotic supports. Using orthotics can either stop the development of hammer toes or reduce their advancement.
- In addition to strengthening and stretching the muscles in your feet, exercises can also help to correct the imbalance that occurs due to hammertoe. You could try some simple exercises like picking some small objects with your toes and stretching your toes gently.
- According to the ACFAS, inserting splints into your shoes may aid in reducing muscle and tendon imbalances. Using a splint can help by reducing the symptoms of hammertoe. It can prevent your condition from getting serious.
- Most diabetics are aware that regular foot exams are crucial for preventing minor problems from developing into more serious ones. But routine foot inspections are beneficial for everyone. Regular foot examinations enable you to identify early indications of joint deformities and treat conditions like hammertoe before they get worse. Try to elevate your feet frequently as it will help you by improving blood circulation. If you spend most of the day sitting down, make sure to get up and move about frequently. Increasing your activity level promotes blood flow to your lungs and heart.
In worse situations, your podiatrist might recommend surgery. It is your podiatrist who will evaluate your condition and let you know whether you are the right candidate for surgery or not. Your podiatrist may not recommend surgery if you have a certain type of health problem. People with active infection and poor blood circulation must also stay from surgery.
You can leave the hospital on the very same day post your surgery. You might have general anesthesia, which would put you to sleep throughout the treatment. In order to ensure that you are completely unaware of all the treatment being done on your foot during surgery, your podiatrist may decide against using general anesthesia and instead opt to numb the area. You can discuss these options with your podiatrist always.
Take an appointment with a reputed podiatrist in your location immediately to get rid of hammertoes within no time!