Podiatrists: Who Are They And What They Do?
Your feet are the reasons why you have a productive day. You are going to work daily and perform activities at all times, which means you have a happy life. But, what if the time comes that you will encounter foot problems? If the condition is mild, then you can have first aid and if it still doesn’t work, it is time for you to see a podiatrist.
Your Foot Clinic offers an accurate diagnosis and treatment for feet condition. The right education and information regarding the condition of your feet will be provided to you, for you to understand the problem.
What is a podiatrist?
A podiatrist is a medical specialist who helps with problems affecting the feet or lower legs. It can treat injuries and complications.
What do they do?
A podiatrist will suggest a customized treatment plan for fast and enduring resolution. There are medical conditions addressed by podiatrists, including:
- heel pain (plantar fasciitis) treatment
- foot complications from diabetes
- ankle and foot arthritis
- nerve problems
- flat feet
- nail disorders
Are podiatrists doctors?
Yes, podiatrists are doctors. But, they don’t go to the traditional medical school. Instead, they have their own professional associations and schools. Podiatrists have Doctor of Podiatric Medicine or DPM after their names instead of Medical Doctor or MD. Podiatrists perform the following:
- Reset broken bones
- Prescribe drugs
- Order lab tests
Podiatrists often work closely with other specialists when the problem affects the feet or lower legs. Podiatrists are registered professionals and licensed. You may not see the importance of these doctors, but sooner or later, when you encounter foot problems, you have no other than professionals of the condition, but only them.
Podiatrist treat conditions
A podiatrist treats people of any age; they treat foot-related conditions, such as:
- Fractures and sprains. The podiatrist will regularly treat these usual injuries once it affects the ankle and foot. They also work in:
- Sports medicine
- Treat athletes’ foot problems
- Bunions and hammertoes. These are bone problems in the feet. The bunion happens when the base of the big toe gets bigger. The toe bends towards the others, the hammer toe doesn’t bend rightfully.
- Nail disorders. It includes problems like nail infections caused by ingrown toenails and fungus. It is when the side or corner nail grows in the toe, instead of straight out.
There are more that podiatrists work with, including surgery. Ingrown toenails are one of the most painful nail problems many people are suffering from today. Thanks to podiatrists, they can perform surgery to treat the condition and helps fully heal. Podiatrists can perform ingrown toenail surgery. When you feel that you need the specialty of a podiatrist, don’t hesitate to take a consultation with them.